OUR e-TWINNING PROJECTS
TED TALK INSPIRED SPEECH COMPETITION
Description of a project
Organizing a friendly, international speech competition between high school students, inspired by TED Talks, using English as the common language. Students will deliver their own 5-minute talks in front of an audience and vote for the best performances in several categories.
WHO ARE OUR PARTNERS?
Slovakia, Austria, France, Italy, Croatia, Poland, Turkey
AIMS AND ACTIVITIES
The aims of this project are to develop:
- Speaking skills in English: Presenting a topic of interest in an educational and entertaining way;
- Listening skills in English: Listening to TED talks given by experts / Listening to their peers' Mock-Talks and giving them feedback;
- Public speaking skills (can be transferred to the students' mother tongue): verbal and non-verbal communication, use of props, jokes, interaction with the public.
- ICT skills: use of images or slideshows in an effective way to support a speech.
- International awareness and use of the English language as a communication tool between several countries.
Learning With No Bounds
Our philosophy is simple - to embrace and provide for all types of learning. We believe that with the right guidance and direction, everyone can succeed. Our educational approach empowers students to question conventional thinking and to pursue their academic understanding with dedication and originality.
Each partner school and teacher has the same responsibilities :
- training and coaching the students before they give their presentations;
- organizing the public speaking events locally;
- uploading the videos on the Twinspace;
- organizing the vote locally (this could be centralized thanks to an oline poll like a Google Form document).
Students are involved in writing short illustrated texts introducing their schools ; in voting for the best performances (both on a local and international level); in organizing the local event in which all the videos will be shown.
Explore eTwinningprojects EmilBellus.com
A Community of Growth
The Twinspace displayed some of the videos (recordings of the live mini-conferences); the TOP list of 19 talks. The worksheets used in class and out of class are also shared on the Twinspace. They include questions on official TED Talks and students assignments. We expect to share our ideas in future projects.
OUR TOWN, REGION, COUNTRY - INTRODUCTION
The competition followed several steps:
- Locally: students studied some TED Talks and developed public speaking skills and strategies, then prepared and delivered their own 5-minute presentation, alone or in pairs (the "Mock-Talks");
- The best presentations in each partner school were uploaded to the Twinspace and all students had to vote for the best performances ;
- A public viewing were organized in each partner school in order to involve other students, parents and display the students' speaking skills. Some prizes could be given to the most original, most entertaining or most interesting Talks.
We also liked the students to present their school/region/country prior to the competition, to create a friendly atmosphere and encourage intercultural knowedge and communication.
What’s the Buzz
OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
we got most of viewings
OUR GOOGLE VOTING FORMS
our Barbora´s TED Talk "Self love" is voted as the most inspiring, most persuasive and most interesting talk
Building Bright Futures
Feeling like joining or supporting us?
Don ´t hesitate and let us know!!!
Creative ideas are welcome :)
We were awarded the prize by our National Agency for international projects e-Twinning and Erasmus + for our project in 2018.
SPŠ Emila Belluša Trenčín